Computer Tips 'n Tricks
The following are a few of the computer tips and tricks that I have picked up over the years.
- When purchasing a computer, always buy the most computer that you can afford. The latest hardware, the latest operating system, the largest hard drive you can afford ... all will keep your computer operating at peak performance longer than if you had economized in these areas.
- Read your owners manuals and help files for all your software. You'll be surprised at all the things you never knew.
- Do you have installation disks scattered everywhere in your home? If so, I guarantee that you will not be able to find an installation disk when you need it in a hurry. Go out and buy a 3-ring binder with slots to hold your CDs and DVDs. Then, take your CDs out of their plastic cases and write the serial numbers in permanent ink on each one. Better still, purchase a labeler, and make a label with this information for each installation CD. Then, store your CDs in your 3-ring binder.
- Create a document with all the important information about your computer. Store this document in your 3-ring binder. Also, keep a copy of this information in your Documents folder in your computer.
- Back up ... back up ... back up! Be sure to back up your data every single day. If you have all your installation disks, it's not as important for you to back up your applications. You can always reinstall the programs. But, your data is irreplaceable! You never know when the electricity will surge, the lightning will strike, or the hard drive will just give out. By backing up your data regularly, you will never have to spend hours upon hours recreating everything you lost.